The law encourages parents to resolve their own parenting arrangements post separation and if that can happen, then there is no need to document that agreement. The best arrangements are  flexible and those where the parties are able to put aside their differences for the benefit of the children.

If parents cannot agree, most parenting disputes are resolved at family dispute resolution with a social worker. Indeed, a parenting application cannot be made in a Court without a certificate confirming that the parties have attended mediation. However, there are cases involving family violence, abuse and/or neglect, and these cases may not be suitable for mediation. In this instance, an application to the Court may be appropriate and Chris Rowe can help you here.

EXPERT ADVICE INFamily Law tel 07 4152 4555