“My career in law has been varied, but a common theme has been serving the interests of the public and helping people. I provide high calibre advice that can make a big different to my clients’ lives.”
David O’Brien is Bundaberg’s most experienced personal injury lawyer and is a founding partner of the firm.
He is admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia and has over 40 years of experience behind him.
For the past 20 years, David has focused on personal injury and planning and environment work. He’s represented WorkCover and Suncorp in personal injury matters but now devotes his entire personal injuries practice to assisting those who have been injured in motor vehicle and work-related accidents.
His expertise in town planning and planning and environment practice areas includes resumptions, planning appeals and property development dispute resolution.
David’s aim is to provide legal advice of the highest calibre, ensuring commercial and practical results for clients in relation to planning and environment legislation and compliance, infrastructure requirements for developments, environmental legislation, and various initiatives, covenants and codes.
Major Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Town Planning
- Planning and Environment
David began his legal career in the Magistrates Court service and acted as Assistant Clerk of the Court Brisbane, Deputy Coroner Brisbane and on occasions as a Magistrate. After leaving the Magistrates Court Service, he dealt with serious criminal offences including murder and sexual assault at the Public Defenders Office. He rose to the rank of Assistant Public Defender before resigning from the Public Defenders Office.
- Involved in many Bundaberg community matters as an Honorary Solicitor
- Founding committee member of the Legal Aid Queensland Bundaberg office
- Bundaberg Surf Lifesaving Club, incorporating that body
- Neighbourhood Watch, incorporating that body
- Meals on Wheels
- Various sporting clubs within the Bundaberg area
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
- Nationally Accredited Mediator to 2014
- Current Member of the Law Society of Queensland
- Council member of the Queensland Law Society 2002 – 2005